NREL is the only national laboratory solely dedicated to advancing renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies from concept to commercial application. For 35 years, NREL innovations, analysis, and expertise have enabled the emergence of a U.S. clean energy industry. NREL's research and development achievements have helped shape clean-energy alternatives for powering our homes and businesses, and the nation's transportation infrastructure. The laboratory’s science and technology teams span the full spectrum of innovation, from fundamental science and market-relevant research to systems integration, and testing and validation.
NREL's areas of expertise include:
- Renewable Fuels — Biomass, hydrogen and fuel cells, and vehicle technologies
- Renewable Electricity — Solar, wind, water, geothermal, smart-grid technology, and building technology and efficiency
- Energy Science — Chemical and biosciences, scientific computing, and materials science
- Strategic Energy Analysis — Technology, markets, public policy, security, and government programs
- Commercialization and Technology Transfer — Sponsored research and development agreements and licenses with private industry to develop commercial products
NREL is a core partner in the Free Energy Data platform (FRED) development team --- helping to conceptualize FRED capabilities and hosting FRED on OpenEI, the DOE’s pioneering open energy data and analysis sharing exchange.
For more information on NREL, visit its website.